Hot melts offer many advantages, hot melts offer a fast glue connection and adhere to all kinds of materials, in addition to standard paper also to plastics, textiles, ceramics, stone and glass.
Hot melt adhesive is a great, versatile adhesive option for a variety of applications. Is this type the best adhesive for your application?
You can easily start with glue sticks, standard of 11mm diameter and 20cm long, from the DIY or hobby shop.
How are hot melt adhesives applied?
Hot melt adhesives are essentially plastics, thermoplastic polymers, which melt at relatively high temperatures of about 160 ℃ and solidify again during cooling to create strong bonds.
What can hot melt glue be used for?
Its greatest strength is its versatility. The base polymer can be adapted with other materials to adjust its properties for bonding a wide variety of materials in hundreds of commercial and residential applications.
Commercial applications in industry
Many manufacturers apply hot glue products for use in applications such as:
- Devices - finishing and gasket installation.
- Cars - interior trim and seat installation.
- Furniture - mounting of cabinets and panels.
- Electronics - encapsulation and wire attachment.
- Packaging - box closure, carton and poor sealing, packaging and pallet stabilization.
Which hot melt equipment is available?
For commercial or business, household, hobby and craft applications, inexpensive glue guns and glue sticks are used for part assembly, repairs and bonding of dissimilar materials. Variable heat glue guns allow precise control of the viscosity and the set times.
Types of hot melt
For manual applications it is usually supplied in glue sticks with 11mm diameter and 20cm length.
Depending on the specific, and often industrial application, hot melt is often supplied in bulk form, such as granulate, chips, pellets, cubes or blocks for use in specific industrial adhesive equipment.
Advantages of hot melts
Hot melt adhesives offer unique advantages over other adhesives:
- Long shelf life
- Minimal waste
- Fast drying and curing
- No volatile organic compounds
- Little or no environmental precautions for disposal
- No shrinkage, thickness loss during curing.
- Creates seals.
- Application and implementation are relatively simple and inexpensive.
- Colors can be mixed into the glue